The application process for this academic year has ended.
Acceptance of applications for the next academic year is scheduled to begin in February 2021.
Please note that the contents of application guidelines are subject to change.
We are pleased to invite applications from all over the country for the 2020 Data Entrepreneur Fellows Program (DEFP). The program is intended for students and professionals alike who are interestedin studying graduate-level courses at The University of Electro-Communications in the areas of Artificial Intelligence, IoT, Big Data, Cybersecurity, and Data Science, following the advanced technology training system established by the University. Under this system, the students are permitted to enroll as “Data Entrepreneur Fellows” after a screening process. Students who are not enrolled in thisUniversity or ina credittransfer university will be considered as non-regular students. Nevertheless, credits for graduate school courses taken as a non-degree student can be converted to a full credit if they are later admitted to the University as a regular student.
Successful applicants will receive the following privileges:
- 1. Advanced technology training as determined by the University
- 2. Issuance of a University account
- 3. Use of University library
- 4. Use of the campus wireless LAN
- 5. Data science library loans
- 6. Access to the article database
- 7. Free participation in related school events
- 8. Provision of training incentives (up to ¥500,000 for non-working students)
- 9. Public listing of graduates on the official website (if desired)
- 10. Opportunity to win the highest award and have your name published on the official website (if desired)
- 11. One free exam for the Python3 Engineer Certification Data Analysis (if desired)
- OneAcademic Year: middle of April 2020 to March 31, 2021(Wednesday)
To be eligible for admission, applicants must meet the following:
- 1. Doctoral students, postdoctoral researchers (postdocs), and Ph.D. holders
- 2. Students and professionals alike who have graduated from a university or graduate school and are particularly interested in studying graduate-level courses at our University.
Note: For foreign nationals, there are restrictions depending on the type of status of residence, so please contact the Secretariat below for more information in advance.
- ・Please read the admission guidelines and curriculum syllabus carefully before applying.
- ・The schedule and content of the face-to-face classes are subject to change depending on the students’ progress, the availability of the university, and the weather conditions.
- ・Actions that are disturbing to the faculty or students or interferes with the progress of the lecture is prohibited.
- ・Face-to-face study lectures are not available for video streaming.
- ・Lecture materials will not be provided in print but will be made available as non-redistributable data from a dedicated page.
- ・Students will be required to attend all lectures and submit a web-based survey form.
- ・For other details, please contact the program management staff.
Number of Applicants
- 40 people
All application documents will be screened by the admission committee. In the event of a large number of applications, the university may not be able to accept themdue to circumstancessuch as class management and the number of students in the classrooms.
Please note that we will not respond to any inquiries regarding acceptance or rejection.
- February 1, 2020 (Saturday) – February 29, 2020 (Saturday)
- 1. Application form (designated application form and resume) Download : ［Word］［PDF］［Example］
2. Certificateof Graduation issued by the university from which you graduated (proof of eligibility to apply) or Certificate of Expected Graduation (if the applicant is currently a student but is expected to graduate)
3. Essay about “Career Plan Utilizing Data Science” (Free format, A4 paper, no limit on number of sheets, about 1000 characters)
4. Skills Survey Sheet Download : ［Word］［PDF］
5. Letter of recommendation from the host faculty member, academic advisor, or superior of your organization (optional)
6. Certificate of JLPT N1 (required only for foreign nationals and international students)
Note: Submitted documents for application will not be returned.
Upon satisfying all the requirements, please apply by one of the following methods:
- 1. Digital application (by e-mail):
Please send all the documents in Word or PDF formattothee-mailaddress below.
For digital applicants, please send a JPEG file of your photo ID in addition to your application documents.
- 2. Document application:
Please send all application documents by mail. It must be postmarked by the application period.
Notification of Selection Results
Applicants will be notified by e-mail or post in the middle of March 2020.
Please make sure that youwill be able to receive e-mails from the uec.ac.jp domain at the time of application.
The status will be from April 2020 onwards.
- Student, postdoctoral researcher: Free
- Working professional: 500,000 yen (tax included)
- Working professional (Ph.D. holders): 250,000 yen (tax included)
Note: Payment must be made in the first month of the semester in which the course is offered. Details on payment procedures will be provided to the successful applicants when they are notified of their selection results.
- 1. Course fee is subject to change without notice.
- 2. Please note that the schedulemay change before the class starts.
Administration office (Application office)
- Address: 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu City, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
- To: The University of Electro-Communications Data Entrepreneur Fellows Program Office, Research Promotion Division
- Basic learning: at any locationvia e-Learning
- Face-to-face learning: Every Saturday at The University of Electro-Communications EastBuilding No.3,2nd floor ofour library, Ambient Intelligence Agora
- Practical learning: In locations where collaborative research and internships take place
If you have any questions, please contact our office.
For frequently asked questions, please refer to the FAQ.
- Data Entrepreneurial Fellows Program Office
Personal Information Protection
The University of Electro-Communications shall comply with the personal information protection regulations and the detailed rules for managing personal information established by the University.
Personal Information Protection Regulations
Detailed Rules for Management of Personal Information Held